Skill Tripods are additional effects on your skills. You can select your tripods in the skill window (K) when reaching skill level 4, 7 and 10. Skill Tripods can increase skill damage, increase your speciality meter gain, reduce skill cooldowns, etc.
Once you reach tier 3 (1302 ilvl), armors and weapons will have random “Skill Tree effects” for your class. The skill tree effect on your gear can add additional levels to your skill tripods and enhance their effects.
The maximum level a Skill Tripod can go up to is level 5, and you can have up to 3 Skill Tree effects on each armor and weapon.
For example, in the image I have equipped an Armor Chest piece with a level 2 Skill Tree effect on the “Encroaching Power” Tripod from the skill “Demon Vision”. This has increased my “Encroaching Power” Tripod level on that skill to level 3.
When gear drops from Chaos Dungeons, Abyssal Raids, etc. it will have random Skill Tree effects at a random level.
The amount of Skill Tree effects the gear has and their levels depends on the rarity grade of your gear.
- Rare gear – 1 effects, level 1
- Epic gear – 2 effects, level 1 – 2
- Legendary gear – 3 effects slots, level 1 – 3
- Relic gear – 3 effects, level 3 – 4
Even though gear many only have 1 or 2 effects on them initially, they have an empty 3rd slot. You can transfer Skill Tree effects from other gear into this empty slot.
Only the highest equipped Skill Tree effect level will be used. If you have two identical Skill Tree effects they do not stack.
Skill Tree Transfer
When you obtain weapons and armor through Chaos Dungeons, Abyssal Dungeons, etc. the gear will have random Skill Tree effects for your class.
If the Skill Tree effect is for one of the Tripods you are using in your skill build, then you can attempt to transfer the Skill Tree effect onto your equipped gear.
This is done at a Transfer Skill Tree NPC.
- To start, select your equipped gear on the left, this is the gear you are transfering the Skill Tree effect onto.
- Now select the material gear on the right, this is the gear with the Skill Tree effect you want to keep.
- The material gear will be deleted even if the transfer fails
- Select the Skill Tree slot on the left that you want to replace. If you have an empty slot, choose the empty slot.
- Select the Skill Tree effect on the right that you want to transfer onto the gear.
- Remember, Skill Tree effects on the same Skill Tripod do not stack! Only the highest level will take effect.
The cost and chance of a successful transfer depends on the Skill Tree effect level. You can increase the chance of success using Powder of Sage.
Powder of Sage can be bought from the Sylmael Bloodstone Exchange NPC or crafted at your Stronghold.
Stronghold Crafting recipe:
- Iron Ore x6
- Timber x6
- Stone of Sage x1 – Exchanged at Monet in your stronghold
- Cost: 10 Gold
- TIme: 1 hour
How to track tripods
You can set up Skill Tree/Tripod effect tracking to make it easier to see if a piece of equipment has an effect you need. If any gear has an effect you are tracking, the Skill Tree icon will show on the gear icon and next to the effect.
To start tracking your Tripods, go to the Skill window (K) and click the “Settings” button at the bottom of the window.
You can now go through each of your skills and click the icon under them to start tracking them. Although you can only have 18 Tripods total across all your gear, you can track up to 48 Tripods, so you can track different Tripods for different gear sets and builds.
Some Tripods cannot be leveled. These will be grayed out and you will not be able to track them.
Once you have finished selecting all your Tripods, click the “Save” button at the bottom.
You can customise your tracked Tripods further by going to your in-game settings (ESC Menu > Settings).
In the settings window you can find settings for your Skill Tree Notifications under “Gameplay” > “Controls and Display”.
- Notification Threshold – This changes which Skill Tree levels are tracked
- Mark Low-tier Gear – If turned on, this setting will track Skill Tree effects on lower rarity grade gear than your equipped gear
- Mark Low-effect Gear – If turned on, this setting will track Skill Tree effects with a lower level than your current Tripod level (higher level Skill Tree effects are always tracked regardless)
Skill Tree Inventory
The Skill Tree inventory is useful for storing your Skill Tree effects. You can select a piece of gear and move all the Skill Tree effects on that gear into the inventory. You can also move all stored Skill Tree effects onto a piece of gear.
Moving Skill Tree effects through the Skill Tree Inventory is free and always successful. The gear is not deleted either when you save the effects to the inventory. This makes it useful when you need to move multiple Skill Tree effects, or if you are changing to a different piece of gear and want to keep your Skill Tree effects.
However there are some limitations:
- Storing and moving Skill Tree effects into the Skill Tree inventory is restricted to the same gear type
- Eg. you can only move Skill Tree effects on your Gloves into the Gloves section of the Skill Tree inventory and these stored Skill Tree effects can only be moved onto Gloves
- If you move Skill Tree effects from the Skill Tree inventory onto a piece of gear, you cannot use the gear as a material gear to transfer the Skill Tree effects again
- You have 2 free storage slots for storing Skill Tree effects, additional storage slots cost Crystals.