Engravings are passive effects for your character. You can obtain engraving effects from equipping Accessories, Ability Stones, and Engraving books.
There are two different types of Engravings:
- Class Engravings – specific to your class, changes your class playstyle, 2 options per class
- Battle Engravings – available to all classes with no restrictions
Battle Engravings are then split into 2 different types again:
- Positive Battle Engravings
- These have positive effects or trade-offs
- For example: the “Grudge” engraving effect increases your Damage % to bosses but also increases your damage taken
- You can get these positive effects from equiping Ability Stones, Accessories and Engraving Books
- Negative Battle Engravings
- These give negative effects with no benefit
- Negative effects are: Attack Speed Reduction, Attack Power Reduction, Defense Reduction and Move Speed Reduction
- Accessories and Ability Stones have negative engraving effects on them
Accessories can sometimes have Class Engravings on them, but Accessories and Ability Stones will always have both positive and negative Battle engravings on them.
The aim is to eventually collect the perfect engraving setup so that you can maximise the positive passives, without having too many negatives
All Engraving effects have 3 levels, and the higher the level, the more powerful the effect is. In order to reach levels in the Engraving effects, you must collect points in that specific Engraving. There are 3 equipment items that give engraving points: Accessories, Ability Stones and Engraving Books.
For example: if you equip an accessory with the Engraving effect: “Adrenaline Node +2”. You will gain 2 points in the Adrenaline Engraving.
The points needed for each level are:
- Level 1: requires 5 points
- Level 2: requires 10 points
- Level 3: requires 15 points
You can view your current engraving effects and levels by going to your Character Profile (P) and selecting the “Engraving” tab. Clicking the accessory and ability stone buttons on the right sidebar shows a breakdown of the points on each piece of gear.
Accessories always have random positive and negative Engraving points on them. The engravings on accessories cannot be changed and the amount of points on them depends on the rarity of the item
Ability Stones always drop with 2 random positive engravings and 1 random negative engraving.
The amount of points on the engravings depends on how well you facet the stone. The maximum amount of points you can get depends on the rarity of the stone.
Engraving Recipe Books work slightly differently since they are not a piece of gear and more of a collectable item. There are engraving books for Battle Engravings and Class Engravings.
The books have 4 different rarities:
- Uncommon Engraving Recipes
- Rare Engraving Recipes
- Epic Engraving Recipes
- Legenedary Engraving Recipes
Engraving Recipe Books can be obtained through various content:
- Chaos Dungeons
- Chaos Dungeon Perception Shards exchange (purchase of 20 Engraving Books) – once per roster
- Guardian Raids
- Abyssal Dungeons
- Secret Maps (Chaos Gate)
- Shadespire Tower – once per roster
- Story and sidequest completion
- Weekly island currency exchange (various islands)
Once you have obtained an engraving book, you can right-click it to register it. Registered books can be found in the Engraving Effect window (Alt + I) and you will need a total of 20 uncommon engraving books to “learn” the engraving and unlock the ability to equip the engraving effect.
After learning 20 books in each rarity tier, your engraving goes up to the next rarity tier and will award you with more points.
For example, you must learn 20 uncommon Adrenaline engraving books, then 20 rare Adrenaline engraving books, then 20 epic Adrenaline engraving books, and finally 20 legendary Adrenaline engraving books
Now that you have learned your first engraving, you can equip the engraving by going to your character profile (P) and clicking the the Engraving equipment slots. Right-click or drag the engraving into these slots to equip it. You can use any combination of engravings and can use Battle engravings or Class engravings.
Below are a couple of engraving setups to give you an idea of how you should be collecting and allocating your engraving points. This is to maximize the points to gain two level 3 engravings and a level 1 engraving effect. The setup you use depends on what is available to you and whether your class needs to prioritise the level 3 class engraving. The setup may change as well depending on how lucky or unlucky you are when faceting your Ability Stone.
Below is a list of popular engraving effects. You can look out for Accessories and Ability Stones with these effects to see if they are worth selling.
- All Class Engravings
- Grudge (not worth using unless level 3)
- Cursed Doll (not worth using unless level 3)
- Raid Captain
- Spirit Absorption
- Keen Blunt Weapon
- Super Charge
- Heavy Armor
- Ambush Master
- Master Brawler
- All-Out Attack
- Hit Master